Does Iowa Home Insurance Cover Guest Injuries

Buying and living in your own home is a gratifying experience as you are investing and securing a property for the whole of your household. However, when you own your home, you also take on certain risks as well as rewards, and one of those risks is being held responsible for any injuries that happen on your property. As such, it’s a good idea to understand what type of injuries are and are not covered by your Aussie Agencies home insurance policy in Knoxville, IA.

Guest vs. Family Medical Protection vs. Personal Liability

When you own a home, you take on the risks associated with that home, including the risks that happen when someone gets injured in your home. The bad news is if that someone is someone who lives in your home, i.e., your child or a live-in grandparent. Your home insurance policy typically won’t cover any medical injuries, and instead, you will have to work with your personal medical insurance. When living in a home, you accept the general risks like slipping and falling.

The good news is that your home insurance policy through Aussie Agencies will generally include what is known as guest medical coverage, which will cover injuries sustained by those who do not live in your home. For example, if a visiting relative or even working professional slips and falls in your home, then guest medical insurance will immediately kick in to cover their medical bills. Note, guest medical is a different type of coverage than personal liability, although both can be included in your home insurance policy. Personal liability will typically cover higher amounts and will consist of legal representation should you be sued as a result of a guest’s injury. 

Contact Us to Learn More About Your Policy

For more information on home insurance and the different types of coverages that your policy can include, contact us at Aussie Agencies in Knoxville, IA.