Do I need to carry collision and comprehensive coverage

Car insurance can be a little tricky to get right. So many terms, so little explanation. You need to have what is mandated by the state but is that really all you need? Having an independent insurance agent that you can trust to steer you in the right direction is important. Aussie Agencies in Knoxville, IA is well established in Central Iowa and can offer you choices regarding auto insurance carriers. 

In Iowa, the simple answer is you do not need to carry collision and comprehensive coverage unless you are mandated to do so by your lender or lessor. The state of Iowa only requires you to carry liability insurance in the basic amount of 20/40/15, $20.000 injury per person with a total of $40,000 for an accident, and $15,000 for damaged property. 

This is all well and good, and it protects you from the result of an at-fault accident. But what about your vehicle? If you have an accident, your vehicle’s damage can be anywhere from a mere scratch to total devastation. How will you cope with that? If you have collision insurance, you will have to pay a deductible, but after that, the insurance company will pay for the repair. If your vehicle is not salvageable, they will pay you the book value. 

Hazards other than a motor vehicle accident can damage your vehicle. Things like storms, lightning, vandalism, and theft. That is where comprehensive insurance comes in. Glass coverage is also included, and there is no deductible on the glass coverage. 

Whether you are looking for your first auto insurance policy or would like your current policy reviewed at Aussie Agencies, we can offer you the benefit of our experience. Come by our office in Knoxville, IA for a no-obligation quote, and let’s work together.